THE TOWN OF SAUGUS, was first settled in 1629. Saugus is a Native American (Algonquin) name believed to mean "great" or "extended". In 1637, the territory known as Saugus (which also contained the present day cities and towns of Swampscott, Nahant, Lynn, Lynnfield, Reading, and Wakefield) was renamed Lin or Lynn, after King's Lynn in Norfolk, England.
As of the census of 2010, there were 26,628 people, 10,318 households, and 7,144 families residing in the town and has a total area of 11.8 square miles. Saugus lies 9 miles northeast of Boston, 24 miles southwest of Cape Ann and 20 miles south of the New Hampshire state line. The town lies just inland from Massachusetts Bay, with the southern end of town dominated by Rumney Marsh, which lies along the Pines River, a tributary of the Saugus River.
Saugus was first settled in 1629 and was officially incorporated in 1815. The Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site, in operation from 1646-1668, was the first integrated iron works in North America. It is now a National Historic Site.
There is an abundance of local organizations based within Saugus such as the Saugus Historical Society, Saugus Chamber of Commerce, and the Theatre Company of Saugus, home to New England's third oldest non-professional theatrical group.